15 Recommended Wines in Cans
Two wines from our producers West + Wilder feature in Top-Rated Pop-Tops: 15 Recommended Wines in Cans. Written by Augustus Weed for Winespector.com, Aug 3, 2020.
The number and quality of whites, reds and rosés in cans is on the rise. From California and Washington to Argentina and France, these cans deliver more than just value.
Popping the tab on a can of wine has never tasted so good. A growing number of noteworthy vintners are packaging their wines in aluminium, and in some cases ditching bottles completely. That means consumers can find more wine styles and grape varieties in cans than ever before. This week, we’ve selected more than a dozen of the highest-rated canned wines from our recent blind tastings.
“Canned wine sales continue to skyrocket, with no ceiling in sight”.
The quality of canned wines has seriously improved over the past few years. Case in point: Sans Wine Co.’s mouthwatering 2018 Sauvignon Blanc, packed with lemon, lime and tangerine flavors. Husband-and wife owners Jake Stover and Gina Schober tapped the Finley Road Vineyard in California’s Lake County, and aged the wine in stainless steel to keep its flavors fresh and vibrant. Larkin is another Golden State winery that’s been elevating canned wines. Founder and winemaker Sean Larkin, who left a career in the sheet metal business to pursue wine, has produced two spotlighted whites this week: his rich 2018 Tin Knocker Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley, and his smooth and succulent 2019 Larkan white.
For fans of rosé, Amble+Chase’s Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence 2018 is a delicate version offering melon, citrus zest and white cherry flavors. Sparkling canned wines are represented here as well: From Washington’s Goose Ridge winery comes the Cascadian Outfitters label and its easygoing, fruit-forward Columbia Valley sparkling rosé.
Top-Scoring Recent Canned Wine Releases
The wines below were reviewed blind in Wine Spectator’s Napa and New York offices, decanted into sterile glass bottles to disguise their original packaging and tasted alongside wines bottled in glass.
- LARKIN – Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley Tin Knocker 2018
- SANS WINE CO. – Sauvignon Blanc Lake County Finley Road Vineyard 2018
- BROC CELLARS – Love Red North Coast 2019
- LARKIN – Larkan White Napa Valley 2019
- SANS WINE CO. – Riesling Rutherford McGill Vineyard 2019
- WEST + WILDER – Pinot Noir Russian River Valley NV | Score: 87
WS review: The dried cherry and berry flavors are firm, with notes of hot stone and underbrush that linger on the juicy finish.
- WEST + WILDER – White American NV | Score: 87
WS review: Distinct and aromatic, with honeysuckle overtones to the melon, peach and lemon curd flavors, set on a smooth, succulent frame. Moderate acidity keeps the flavors fresh. Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Viognier, Muscat and Chardonnay.
- BROC CELLARS – Love White California 2018
- CASCADIAN OUTFITTERS – Rosé Sparkling Columbia Valley NV
- FERDINAND – Albariño California 2019
- MANCAN – Red American NV
- MANCAN – White American NV
- AMBLE+CHASE – Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence Rosé 2018
- 14 HANDS – Hot to Trot Red Columbia Valley NV
- VAMOS! VINO – Malbec Argentina NV