Did someone say mulled wine? Have a go at making some over the festive period with our recipe below.
What you’ll need…
- 500ml (2 cans) of red wine. (We would recommend the West + Wilder Pinot Noir.)
- ½ orange, sliced into rounds.
- 3 whole cloves.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 1 – 2 star anise.
- Approximately 1 – 3 tablespoons sugar – to taste. (Feel free to use other forms of sweetener.)
- Optional naughty extra: Dash of brandy (or your favourite liquor).
- Garnish if desired: Slice of orange, extra cinnamon stick, extra star anise.
How to make it…
- In a large saucepan, add the wine, sugar, spices and orange rounds. Stir briefly to combine all the ingredients.
- Simmer on medium to high heat until it barely reaches a simmer. (Avoid bubbling as this boils off the alcohol!) Reduce to a low heat and cover. Let the wine simmer for approximately 15 minutes or more, for maximum flavour.
- Using a sieve, strain and remove the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon stick, and star anise. Taste mulled wine to see if it is sweet enough. Feel free to add any extra sugar or sweetener if needed.
- Serve warm in mugs, adding any additional garnish.
- Enjoy! Don’t forget to tag us in your creations on instagram.